Diabetes is one of the most common health issues in today’s world. It usually happens to older men and women. However, it can occur to people of any age with a sedentary lifestyle and a family history of diabetes. Having a regular diabetes test in Delhi or your locality can help you know the rise in your blood sugar levels. As you notice this, you should start making an effort to prevent diabetes. Here are some useful steps for your support:
1. Be more physically active
As mentioned above, a person with a highly comfortable life has a higher chance of having diabetes. If it is with you or there is a rise in the blood sugar level in your body, you need to be physically active to lower your risk. You can limit your inactivity, do aerobic exercises, moderate yoga poses, and perform resistance exercises to be physically active. Being physically active will help you:
- Lose your weight
- Boost your sensitivity to insulin
- Lower your blood pressure
2. Lower your carb intake
When you are working on a diabetes preventive plan, you need to think about the quality and quantity of the carb you take. After intake, your body cuts down carbs into small molecules that your bloodstream absorbs. As a result, the increased blood sugar triggers the pancreas for more insulin production. On on diabetic plan, you need to regulate your insulin production and absorption. You need to avoid:
- Added sugar
- Refined carbs
3. Include healthy plant-based foods in your diet
Through a plant-based diet, you get carbohydrates, minerals, and vitamins. Carbohydrates have starches, sugars, and fibres that are good for your overall health and beneficial in preventing diabetes. The plant-based food items you can eat are as follows:
- Fruits – peppers, tomatoes, apples, oranges, pineapples, grapes, etc.
- Non-starchy vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and allied leafy greens
- Whole grains such as whole wheat pasta
- Legumes such as beans and lentils
4. Maintain a healthy body weight
Being overweight or having obesity can lead you to have diabetes. You need to control it as you notice an increase in your weight. To know your ideal body weight, you can check your BMI frequently. And you must make an effort to keep it between 20 and 25 and let it not go below 20 or beyond 25.
5. Take only healthy fats
Fatty foods contain high calories. In a diabetice place or diabetes preventive process, you should take fatty foods in a moderate quantity. As far as possible, you should avoid eating saturated fats. Unsaturated fats with polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are good for you. The good source of such fats is available in:
- Sunflower, olive, canola, and cottonseed oils
- Seeds and nuts such as pumpkin seeds, peanuts, flaxseed, and almonds
- Salmon, sardines, cod, tuna, and mackerel
6. Skip unhealthy foods In the contemporary world, most of you avoid cooking meals and eat street foods that are undercooked, highly fried, unhygienic, or junk/processed. You should avoid eating out frequently and eat the food items that you cook in your home kitchen. In the cooking process, you need to avoid excess oil/spice usage and ensure your food is cooked well.
7. Drink water instead of soft or sweetened drinks outside
These days, you prefer soft or sweetened drinks outside or at home when you feel thirsty. You do it usually in the summer. Instead of such drinks, you should carry a bottle with you to drink water to hydrate yourself. And you should take home-made juices.
Diabetes is a silent killer and links to several severe health risks. You can prevent yourself from being a dibetic patient through making a few dietary and lifestyle changes. Moderate carb intake, regular exercising, weight management, preference to plant-based foods, and avoidance of soft, sweetened, or alcoholic beverages can help you a lot. You will lower your risk or stay safe from diabetes.